Crunchy Skillet CornbreadPrint Recipe
- 2 cups fine ground cornmeal*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup low fat, 2% or whole milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons canola or light olive oil
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced pickled jalapeño peppers
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Mix the cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the egg, buttermilk, milk, and 1/4 cup oil and stir until well combined. Mix in the corn, cheese, and jalapeños.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Rub the oil around to thoroughly coat the bottom and sides of the skillet.
Heat in the oven for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour in the batter.
Bake until the crust is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve hot.
*For a fluffier cornbread, substitute 1/2 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour for the cornmeal. Recipe adapted from Modern Hospitality cookbook.